Monday, November 28, 2011

Estate Planning Issues to Consider

Estate Planning

In May, 2011, I was asked to speak at the United States Coast Guard’s Senior Executive Leadership Conference on the key issues facing our generation as they relate to elder law and elder care. Many in our generation are taking care of themselves and their children, as well as elderly parents, so I focused on advance care and estate planning.

Just recently I met with the Coast Guard officer who had invited me to the conference. He told me that the “reviews” of my talk were very positive and he asked if I would be willing to come to the next conference since so many of the attendees found the subject matter of personal interest. Of course I was flattered by the invitation, but more importantly, I was reminded how “timely” the subject of estate planning is and how critical it is that people learn now what they should have in place for the future.

Simply put we need to start asking the following:

  • What type of medical care do I want towards the end of my life?
  • Where do I want to be cared for?
  • How can I ensure that my desires will be honored if I am not able to speak or act for myself?
  • What financial arrangements should I make now to ensure that I can receive the care I want?
  • What resources are available for my care?
  • What will happen if I outlive my assets?
  • What do I want to happen after my death?

The practice of elder law attempts to assist people in formulating the answers to these questions by articulating goals for care while you are alive and plans for taking care of your estate upon your death. At the very least your planning should include the drafting of Durable Powers of Attorney for Medical Care and Finances and executing a Will or Trust. Our office can help by initiating the discussion that leads to plans that will meet your individual needs.

- Hilary



------------------------------------------

The Law Offices of Jeremy W. Howe, LTD. are Elder Law Attorneys in Newport, Rhode Island who specialize in Wills and Trusts, Estate Planning, Guardianship, Probate, and Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefits.

They also are Newport Rhode Island Divorce Lawyers, Attorneys, Mediators, and Arbitrators providing services for Family Law issues such as divorce, child custody and visitation, support, and Military Family Law.

Call them today at 401-841-5700 or visit them on the web at http://www.counselfirst.com

No comments:

Post a Comment